Philadelphia car hire information
Philadelphia car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Philadelphia
When to book a hire car in Philadelphia
Top tips for renting a car in Philadelphia
- A hire car will give you the ultimate flexibility during your stay in Philadelphia. Drive into the city from the airport in under 20 minutes and reach all sights and attractions conveniently with your car, such as the Lincoln Field Stadium to see the Eagles play, or other places of interest outside of the city, such as Princeton University, which is less than an hour by car away, or Atlantic City, which is just over an hour’s drive.
- The easiest pick-up location for a hire car is at the Philadelphia International Airport. Various companies offer vehicles here, including Avis, Enterprise, and Hertz. Information and pick-up is located at the Ground Transportation Information desks at the baggage claim area, but the airport is signposted throughout, so finding the right desk should be no problem.
- When driving in Philadelphia there are some things to bear in mind, such as the red light cameras, some dare-devil cyclists, and the difficulties of finding a parking spot. Make sure to drive with patience and attention, as fines can reach hundreds of dollars quickly. Watch out for side track cyclists and opt for a hotel with an included parking space so your vacation will go smoothly.
- Especially when venturing out of the city core, road conditions in Philadelphia can be challenging, so adapting your speed is crucial. Driving through the rush hour should also be avoided if possible, which is usually between 7 and 9 AM and 4 and 6 PM. The I-76W is especially affected with commuters clogging up the street. Also bear in mind that winters in Philadelphia can include snow, sleet, and ice, so ensuring that the vehicle is properly equipped is important.
- Book your rental car in Philadelphia at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Philadelphia
What is the cheapest car rental company in Philadelphia?
What is the best rental car company in Philadelphia?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Philadelphia?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Sixt 3601 Island Ave 19153-3228 (9 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Philadelphia?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Philadelphia?
As parking spots are hard to come by in Philadelphia, it is advisable to opt for a smaller car that can easily cruise through the city. A minivan is a great option for families who need additional space, and it still provides the right size. Travelers wanting to explore the surrounding nature like Schuylkill River may want to choose an SUV.
What's the speed limit in Philadelphia?
When driving through residential areas, 25 mph is usually permitted, but also look out for street signs indicating the speed limit. Outside of residential areas, drivers can speed up to 35 mph unless indicated otherwise. On motorways, speeds of up to 55 mph are permitted unless the posted sign allows more.
How are gas prices in Philadelphia?
Refilling your tank in the area will cost about $2.80 per gallon; however, at petrol stations like Costco, prices can get as low as $2.40. Petrolstations around the airport, on the other hand, should generally be avoided, as they tend to be more expensive.
Where are the best places to park in Philadelphia?
There are metered parking spots in the city -- but be careful, as the PPA are very efficient in Philadelphia and a ticket can be issued the second your time runs out. Also, if you park in a no-parking area, you can expect your car to be ticketed and towed. There are also PPA car parks and garages available, which cost around $25 for 24 hours and are dotted around the city, for example Parkade on 8th, Gateway Parking Garage, or 19th and Callowhill Street.