New Haven car hire information
|Pick-up location||New Haven|
New Haven car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in New Haven
When to book a hire car in New Haven
Top tips for renting a car in New Haven
- It is highly recommended that visitors of New Haven rent a car, as the city is much more easily navigated in your vehicle than via public transportation. This is partly because public transportation is fairly limited, plus because the city was designed primarily with private vehicles in mind. For example, say you want to visit West Rock Ridge State Park. It is just a 12-minute drive of 3.4 miles from central New Haven, but with public transport it can take up to 30 minutes to get there.
- Travelers arriving at Tweed New Haven Airport can find the hire car desks in Tweed Terminal’s Arrivals Lobby.
- Beware using your phone while driving in New Haven, as it is illegal throughout the state of Connecticut to call, text, or use cell phones when driving unless it is hands-free. This also includes using your phone as a GPS device. It is advised that drivers make sure to have their passengers handle the phone duties when driving, otherwise you risk incurring a fine.
- Drivers will be happy to hear that, while New Haven does experience its share of rush hour traffic, it is by no means severe. Drivers can expect the morning rush hour to start up at around 7:00 a.m. and to last until 9:00 a.m., while the afternoon rush hour starts at around 4:00 p.m. and finishes up by about 6:30 p.m. most weekdays. During the peak times, College Street and Howard Avenue are two of the main roads that drivers avoid to escape the worst traffic.
- Book your rental car in New Haven at least 1 week before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in New Haven
What is the best rental car company in New Haven?
How can I find car rentals near me in New Haven?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in New Haven?
New Haven is an older city that goes back to the early Colonial days in the U.S. and, as a result, many of its streets are on the smaller side. For the most part, mid-sized and smaller vehicles are your best bet for driving in comfort in New Haven because there are times when larger SUVs and trucks may feel oversized on the road. This is especially the case when it comes to finding on-street parking.
What's the speed limit in New Haven?
Residential and neighborhood roads in New Haven feature speed limits of 20 to 40 mph, while urban roads go up to 50 mph. Outside of New Haven proper, the roads have speed limits of anywhere from 45 to 55 mph. Interstates have speed limits that go up to 65 mph.
How are gas prices in New Haven?
The average price per gallon of petrol in New Haven is around $2.60. This is fairly average for the Northeast, with New York City having comparable prices.
Where are the best places to park in New Haven?
If you are in the downtown area, parking garages and lots are likely the safest bet. On-street parking can be difficult to find downtown, especially during the peak hours of the day. Outside of the downtown core and university district, streetside parking is plentifully available and drivers should have an easier time finding available spaces. Hourly parking garages in New Haven typically start at $2.00 per hour.