Calgary car hire information
Calgary car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Calgary
Good to know
|Most popular agency||Alamo|
|Most popular car type||Full-size|
When to book a hire car in Calgary
Top tips for renting a car in Calgary
- Calgary is a paradise for lovers of the great outdoors. Situated at the junction of the Bow and Elbow Rivers and with the Canadian Rockies on your doorstep, exploring the surroundings of Calgary is a dream with a hire car. The world famous Banff National Park is only a little over an hour’s drive west and will leave you awestruck with the picturesque turquoise glacial lakes, untouched wilderness, and natural hot springs. Canada’s third largest city by population is located nearly 3,500 feet above sea level and has something to offer for every willing traveler.
- Once you land at Calgary International Airport and collect your baggage, follow the signage to the Car Rental Center elevator. On the second level you will find the counters of multiple major car hire companies including Hertz, Avis, Budget, and Thrifty. The drive from the airport to downtown is seamless along the AB-2 S Highway and will only take approximately 25 minutes. If you are heading to Banff National Park you can either take the Highway 1, which will allow you to pass through Calgary on the way, or the Stoney Trail (201) Highway, which is a more direct route.
- Canada, and specifically the mountain range, is blessed with wildlife that sometimes feels an explorative urge and wanders onto the roads. Be mindful when driving and keep an attentive eye out for animals. If you do approach any hazardous animals, remember to drive carefully and reduce speed.
- Thanks to its higher altitude, Calgary can experience significant snowfall in the winter months, causing difficult driving conditions. The roads are designed to best deal with this snowfall; however it is important that you follow some simple tips to increase your safety. Scrape any accumulated snow off your car before driving, paying extra attention to the windows and headlights. Listen to weather reports and adhere to any warnings; the city has a Traffic Advisory station which you can tune in to at 106.5 FM. Be mindful to reduce your speed when driving in poor conditions and be extra cautious around pedestrians.
- 25% of our users found rental cars in Calgary for $69 or less
- Book your rental car in Calgary at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Economy rental cars in Calgary are around 52% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Calgary
How much does it cost to hire a car in Calgary?
On average a hire car in Calgary costs $79 per day.
What is the most popular rental car in Calgary?
Full-size (Toyota RAV4 or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Calgary.
What is the cheapest car rental company in Calgary?
What is the best rental car company in Calgary?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: Calgary Airport (YYC)?
The only car hire company onsite at Calgary Airport is Alamo.
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Calgary Airport (YYC)?
The only car hire company that offers shuttle or pick-up services from Calgary Airport to off-airport locations is Alamo.
What is the cheapest car hire location in Calgary?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Avis 2000 Airport Road T2E 6W5 (10 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Calgary?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Full-size car rental cost in Calgary?
A Full-size car rental in Calgary costs $76 per day, on average.
What is the most popular rental car location in Calgary?
In Calgary, cars are most frequently hired at Routes Car & Truck Rentals 130-588 Aero Road NorthEast, Calgary AB (5.42 km from city centre ).
How much does it cost to rent a car for a week in Calgary?
On average a rental car in Calgary costs $550 per week ($79 per day).
How much does it cost to rent a car long term for a month in Calgary?
On average a rental car in Calgary costs $2,359 per month ($79 per day).
What type of car is recommended for driving in Calgary?
A four-wheel drive is the safest car option to help navigate icy roads. A Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar 4WD will provide extra traction on the surface, leading to easier control and handling. When planning for driving in snowy conditions, the larger the car the better, as additional weight will help provide more grip on the road.
What's the speed limit in Calgary?
Unless otherwise indicated, the speed limit on Calgary roads is 50 km/h (31 mph). Keep an eye out and be careful when driving in school zones as the limit drops to 30 km/h (19 mph). Freeways and highways will vary between 80 km/h (50 mph) and 110 km/h (68 mph) so it is important to always pay attention to the signage.
How are gas prices in Calgary?
You can expect to pay slightly above the U.S. average for petrol in Calgary, with a liter costing approximately $1.01 Canadian Dollars. This translates to approximately $2.87 USD per gallon. If you are planning on exploring the mountain ranges, be sure to fill up on petrol before heading off on a long trip, as an empty tank is the last thing you want to worry about.
Where are the best places to park in Calgary?
Parking in downtown Calgary is quite manageable and cheap, considering the population of the city. If you are heading out for a meal or to explore the city’s nightlife, make the most of free street parking across the city after 6 pm. The Calgary Parking Authority also provides free street parking all day on Sundays and holidays.