Portland car hire information
Portland car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Portland
Good to know
|Most popular car type||Economy|
When to book a hire car in Portland
Top tips for renting a car in Portland
- Portland, Oregon is the ideal location to take advantage of the wondrous landscapes and climate that the northwestern United States has to offer. Renting a car will give you the unrivaled opportunity to explore Mount Hood National Forest, Columbia River and Gorge, Forest Park, and Blue Lake Regional Park. These regions are virtually inaccessible via public transport, and having a car will mean that you can drive directly to a gateway of fishing, hiking, bike riding, and scenic opportunities.
- Picking up your hire car at Portland International Airport is a quick and simple process. Proceed to the baggage claim area and walk directly across the road to the first level of the parking garage. Here, you will find many major car hire companies to choose from, such as Enterprise, Dollar, Payless, and Alamo. The distance from Portland International Airport to downtown is 9 miles; the quickest route is to take the Banfield Expressway (I-84), which will get you there in approximately 30 minutes.
- Portland’s beautiful weather encourages plenty of cyclists to get out on the roads and that means it’s important to be careful when driving your hire car. Be mindful of green bike boxes at intersections across the city, as these provide a safe space for cyclists to stop. It is illegal to turn right on a red light if there is a green bike box at the intersection. When driving in the downtown district, keep in mind that there are a lot of one-way streets, so it is best to use a navigational tool and to pre-plan your driving route.
- Due to the surrounding wilderness and national parks, Portland is prone to wildfires, such as the Eagle Creek Fire of 2017. Be sure to check the local weather conditions and that all roads and highways on your route are open and safe to access. Especially in the warm and dry summer months, regularly pay attention to weather warnings, as conditions can change quickly.
- Book your rental car in Portland at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Economy rental cars in Portland are around 49% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Portland
What is the most popular rental car in Portland?
Economy (Chevrolet Spark or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Portland.
What is the best rental car company in Portland?
How can I find car rentals near me in Portland?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Portland?
A Economy car rental in Portland costs $127 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Portland?
An intermediate car will provide you will ample storage space and comfort, while being small enough to navigate any tight parking spaces in the downtown district. A car such as a Toyota Corolla or Hyundai Elantra will suit Portland driving perfectly.
What's the speed limit in Portland?
The Portland City Council enforces a speed limit of 20mph in residential areas, business districts, and school zones. Be careful to check the listed speed limit on interstates and rural highways surrounding Portland, as these can vary between 65 mph and 70 mph. If signage is not present and you are unsure, take a cautious approach and adhere to a 65-mph limit.
How are gas prices in Portland?
Northwest America is among the most expensive parts of the country to fill up your tank. Expect to pay approximately $3.27 per gallon in Portland, which is considerably higher than the US average of $2.60. To keep driving expenses to a minimum, pre-plan your route and try to take the most direct option.
Where are the best places to park in Portland?
Parking near downtown Portland is made easy by a number of public parking garages owned by the city. These are called SmartPark garages and they display the number of vacant spots on the exterior of the garage, saving you the time and stress of searching for a space.