Geneva car hire information
Geneva car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Geneva
Good to know
|Most popular agency||Dollar|
|Most popular car type||Compact|
When to book a hire car in Geneva
Top tips for renting a car in Geneva
- Travelers with flights landing at Geneva Airport will be happy to hear that the airport’s hire car facilities are not only quick and easy to reach but also serve both the Swiss and French sides of the border. Car hires for the Swiss side can be found on the Arrivals level near La Poste. To reach the hire desks for the French side, travelers must follow the “Destination France” signs and then go through customs. After that, the hire counters are by the Air France KLM desks.
- Right of way can be a bit confusing at times in Geneva, especially for those who are not used to driving in Europe. However, one aspect of right of way can be cleared up quickly and easily: yielding to buses. In Geneva you must yield to buses merging into traffic -- this is something that is taken very seriously here.
- Beware of using your phone while driving in Switzerland, as it is illegal to call, text, or use cell phones when driving unless it is hands-free. It is advised that drivers make sure to have their passengers follow the phone laws; otherwise, they risk getting fined.
- Geneva has some of the worst rush hour traffic in Switzerland. Drivers can expect the morning rush hour to start around 7:00 a.m. and finish around 9:00 a.m., with the Mont-Blanc Bridge bearing the brunt of the traffic. In the evening, rush hour starts at about 5:00 p.m. and lasts until 7:00 p.m.
- 25% of our users found rental cars in Geneva for $46 or less
- Book your rental car in Geneva at least 1 week before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Compact rental cars in Geneva are around 21% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Geneva
How much does it cost to hire a car in Geneva?
On average a hire car in Geneva costs $48 per day.
What is the most popular rental car in Geneva?
Compact (Class Compact SUV or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Geneva.
What is the best rental car company in Geneva?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: Geneve-Cointrin Airport (GVA)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Geneve-Cointrin Airport (GVA)?
How can I find car rentals near me in Geneva?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Compact car rental cost in Geneva?
A Compact car rental in Geneva costs $46 per day, on average.
How much does a Intermediate car rental cost in Geneva?
A Intermediate car rental in Geneva costs $51 per day, on average.
How much does it cost to rent a car for a week in Geneva?
On average a rental car in Geneva costs $338 per week ($48 per day).
How much does it cost to rent a car long term for a month in Geneva?
On average a rental car in Geneva costs $1,450 per month ($48 per day).
What type of car is recommended for driving in Geneva?
Compacts, coupes, and sedans are certainly the best hire options for potential drivers in Geneva. The city has many streets and lanes that predate the automobile and, as a result, are simply ill-suited for their use. This isn’t too big of a problem for smaller vehicles, but with a larger car or SUV, these roads can become a hassle to maneuver through. Parking in the older parts of the city can especially be a problem for larger cars.
What's the speed limit in Geneva?
Switzerland has four broad categories for delineating speed limits throughout the country: in-city, out-of-city, expressways, and motorways. For in-city traffic, the speed limit is 50 km/h (31 mph), while out-of-city traffic is 80 km/h (50 mph). On expressways the standard speed limit is 100 km/h (62 mph) and on motorways it is 120 km/h (75 mph).
How are gas prices in Geneva?
Drivers will find that the average price of petrol in Geneva is around 1.65 CHF ($1.65) per liter, which is about $6.25 per gallon. This is fairly standard for Europe and is just slightly cheaper than Catania’s average price of €1.60 ($1.83) per liter.
Where are the best places to park in Geneva?
Parking garages, which are almost always underground, are the easiest parking option for drivers in Geneva. Streetside parking is widely available but is broken into four colored zones: white, blue, yellow, and red. Each zone has a separate set of parking limitations and fees, which will be listed on nearby signage and require the purchase of parking decals (found at petrol stations, police stations, and tourism offices).