Norfolk car hire information
Norfolk car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Norfolk
When to book a hire car in Norfolk
Top tips for renting a car in Norfolk
- Explore the coastal city of Virginia conveniently on your own four wheels and make the most out of your trip to Norfolk with a hire car. Whether discovering the coastline, finding all kinds of different plants in the Botanical Garden, or even going all the way to Virginia Beach, a hire car puts travelers within easy distance of just about everything. Virginia Beach is not even 20 miles from the city and can be reached by car in about 20 minutes.
- Pick up a hire car when landing at Norfolk International Airport to get to your next destinations quickly and stress-free. Find the car hire center in the arrivals terminal on level 1 and choose from renowned agencies like Hertz, National, or Alamo. The airport is 7 miles from Norfolk center and can be reached in under 20 minutes via the Norview Avenue and Tidewater Drive.
- Reckless driving is considered a severe offense in Norfolk and fines can be very high. Also, as it is considered a criminal offense, it may impact your driver’s license or even show up in your record. Adhering to the speeding limits and driving defensively is therefore pivotal. Make sure to familiarize yourself with speed restrictions on your routes and look out for speed limit signs. Especially on the weekends, traffic law enforcement is executed meticulously and reckless drivers will be pulled over without hesitation.
- Winters in Virginia can be harsh and bring lots of snow. As lovely as that is for strolling through the city, especially in the Christmas season, it means you must prepare your vehicle and adapt your driving style accordingly. Make sure the hire car has winter tires and perhaps even snow chains in the trunk. Check the weather forecast and traffic before leaving, and adapt your speed to weather and road conditions when necessary.
- Book your rental car in Norfolk at least 2 weeks before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Norfolk
What is the cheapest car rental company in Norfolk?
What is the best rental car company in Norfolk?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Norfolk?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Dollar 2200 Norview Ave 23518 (9 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Norfolk?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Norfolk?
A 4-wheel drive car will brave all weather conditions and provide the essential road grip needed specifically during the winter months. A sedan may be a good choice for people driving mostly inside the city, as they are compact enough to fit into almost all parking spots. For countryside exploring and people who need more space, an SUV or minivan is a good option.
What's the speed limit in Norfolk?
Remember to adhere to the speed limits, as speeding is considered reckless driving in Virginia and is categorized as a criminal offense. If there are no signs, the general speed regulations permit 25 mph in residential areas and 55 mph on roads which are marked with #600 or above. 70 mph is the maximum limit on freeways, so drivers should never go faster than that.
How are gas prices in Norfolk?
Petrol prices in Norfolk are in the lower range when compared to other US cities, at around $2.30 per gallon. Look for petrol stations like 7-Eleven or Wawa to get rates as low as $2.15 per gallon. Bear in mind that petrol tends to be more expensive at stations situated around the airport, so refill the tank beforehand and only put in the last gallons at airport petrol stations before returning the car.
Where are the best places to park in Norfolk?
Parking is pretty stress-free in Norfolk with metered on-street parking, public garages, and parking lots available. Metered parking is time restricted, so read the signs to find out how long a car may be parked. There are also garages like the Bank Street Garage or the Education Lot.