Greensboro car hire information
Greensboro car hire reviews and directory
Car Rental Locations in or near Greensboro
When to book a hire car in Greensboro
Top tips for renting a car in Greensboro
- Renting a car is the most comfortable and convenient way to tour the city of Greensboro, North Carolina, as well as other main destinations across the state. Explore unmissable attractions such as the International Civil Rights Center and Museum or the Greensboro Arboretum, which is only 3 miles from downtown. For a longer road trip, head to Charlotte, about 90 miles away.
- All the big car hire agencies, including Alamo, Avis, Enterprise, and Hertz, can be found at Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO), which is about 12 miles from Greensboro’s city center. The car hire desks are located near the Baggage Claim area in the airport’s main terminal. The vehicles are typically parked within walking distance.
- Fall is the best time to visit, as the weather is mostly dry after the typically wet spring and summer, which often see rainfall and thunderstorms. Avoid driving in the downtown area, as it’s usually pretty packed, and park the car in the surrounding areas instead. A good tip to make use of your car is to drive it through the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park for a self-guided tour.
- Although Greensboro has one of the best commute times in the country, the roads still get busier during rush hour, both in the morning (between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m.) and in the evening (between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.). The area near the Coliseum experiences traffic jams every time there’s a big event. The Elm-Eugene stretch downtown and Gate City Boulevard can also get rather busy.
- Book your rental car in Greensboro at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Greensboro
What is the best rental car company in Greensboro?
How can I find car rentals near me in Greensboro?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Greensboro?
A small automatic car is a good option for travelers who don't require much space for passengers or luggage, as it is easy to drive and park around Greensboro. If you’re traveling throughout North Carolina, a spacious sedan or an SUV might offer more comfort, especially if the whole family is on board too.
What's the speed limit in Greensboro?
The speed limit within Greensboro is usually 35 miles per hour (mph), but it may be lower in certain residential areas, in which case speed limit signs will be posted. Rural roads typically have a speed limit of 55 mph and interstates all have posted speed limits, with the maximum being 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Greensboro?
The average petrol prices in the city are approximately $2.18 per gallon. Lower prices can range anywhere between $1.89 and $2.07 per gallon. If you’re heading for a road trip across the state, remember to fill up the tank early in the morning or late in the evening so as to avoid crowded petrol stations during the day.
Where are the best places to park in Greensboro?
Although there are on-street parking spaces available in downtown Greensboro, the public parking lots and decks are the best option. The Bellemeade Street Parking Deck, located at the corner of Bellemeade and Elm streets, is open 24 hours a day. It charges $0.75 per hour, with the first hour being free and free parking between 6 and 9 p.m. Parking your car there after 9 p.m. will cost you $2 per hour.