Columbus car hire information
Columbus car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Columbus
When to book a hire car in Columbus
Top tips for renting a car in Columbus
- Make the most out of your trip to Columbus and rent a car to explore everything from Lincoln Village in the west of the city to Blacklick Woods Metro Park or Pickerington Ponds Metro Park in the east. Columbus has a lot on offer and, with a car, you can conveniently reach all your destinations within your own timeframe.
- For travelers landing at John Glenn Columbus International Airport, rent a car directly from the on-site car hire center to be in the city in less than 15 minutes. The airport sports eight agencies, including Alamo, Avis, and Hertz, who can be found on the ground level of the parking garage where the cars are also parked. Posted signs help drivers out of the airport to the I-670, which directly leads into the heart of Columbus.
- Columbus is definitely not as challenging to drive in as Boston, for example, but hire car drivers should double-check before venturing into an intersection, as right of way is not always followed. Also, Columbus drivers tend to drive slower on the left lane, which is nonetheless discouraged. When it rains, make sure to adapt the speed, as full downpours commonly happen in Columbus.
- The winters in Ohio can be harsh and cold, so winter travelers should ensure the hire car is properly equipped for the cold season. If parked overnight, make sure the tank is always half-full or more; otherwise, the risk of a frozen petrol line increases. Also bear in mind that the posted speed limits are intended for dry roads, so, when snow and sleet are coating the streets, speed must be reduced and adapted to the road conditions.
- Book your rental car in Columbus at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Columbus
What is the best rental car company in Columbus?
How can I find car rentals near me in Columbus?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Columbus?
With regular rain and ice on the streets, a 4-wheel drive car is certainly a wise choice to make in Columbus. Depending on how much storage is needed, a smaller SUV or minivan are an appropriate choice which provide essential road grip while still being small enough to navigate through the city without problems.
What's the speed limit in Columbus?
Adhering to the posted speed limit is paramount when driving through Columbus. If there is no sign posted, the general speed limits are as follows: 15 mph in alleys, 20 mph in school areas, 25 mph in residential areas, up to 65 mph on interstates, and up to 70 mph on rural freeways. Don’t forget to adapt the speed to the weather and road conditions.
How are gas prices in Columbus?
The average petrol price in Columbus lies around $2.60 per gallon, but petrol stations like Sam’s Club or Costco are usually on the slightly cheaper side at around $2.20 per gallon. Petrolstations around the airport and the highway are often more expensive than stations inside the city, so bear that in mind before refueling the tank.
Where are the best places to park in Columbus?
Street parking as well as garages and public parking lots are available in Columbus. Street parking, especially in the downtown area, is usually metered, so check the time and weekday restrictions at the posted sign. Parking garages such as Lot 005 or LeVeque Tower Garage, for example, offer daily or even monthly parking opportunities for a reasonable charge and are centrally located.