Bakersfield car hire information
Bakersfield car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Bakersfield
When to book a hire car in Bakersfield
Top tips for renting a car in Bakersfield
- Though California does feature a fair number of trains, there really is no better way to get around than by private vehicle in the Golden State. Bakersfield is no exception to that; in fact, within the city itself there are only buses available for public transport. So drivers looking to get around town will have long waits in store for them if they don’t have a vehicle on hand.
- Visitors arriving at Meadows Field Airport looking to rent a car will find the hire car counters in the main terminal’s Arrivals Hall.
- Bakersfield is close to numerous mountain pass roads and, as beautiful as they are, they can also be a tad narrow and steep at times. Occasionally, drivers will find that there isn’t enough room for both cars to go by each other at the same time. In moments like this, as uncommon as they may be, the vehicle that is facing downhill must yield to the uphill-facing driver and back up (if necessary) to allow the other car to pass.
- While Bakersfield does not have the most severe rush hour traffic, its relative proximity to the Greater Los Angeles Area can make traffic going in that direction slow down during peak hours. On most weekdays, the morning rush hour typically goes from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and in the afternoon it goes from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. One of the main roads to avoid during rush hour is CA-58, as it bisects Bakersfield and often bears the brunt of the daily rush hour traffic.
- Book your rental car in Bakersfield at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Bakersfield
What is the best rental car company in Bakersfield?
How can I find car rentals near me in Bakersfield?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Bakersfield?
Bakersfield is a typical American city in that its roads are large, wide, and well-suited for a range of vehicles. SUVs, trucks, vans, and all other vehicles will have an easy time navigating the city’s roads, so renters should opt for whatever vehicle best suits their needs. Whether it is a van because you are traveling with company or a sports car because that is what you love, all vehicles are great choices for visitors to Bakersfield.
What's the speed limit in Bakersfield?
Residential areas in Bakersfield usually feature speed limits ranging from 25 to 35 mph, while on the city’s urban roads the speed limit goes up to 50 mph. From there, the next bump in speed limits is for urban freeways, which feature speed limits from 50 to 65 mph. Rural freeways and interstates are the next up, featuring speed limits all the way up to 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Bakersfield?
Petrol prices in Bakersfield are somewhat on the higher side for U.S. cities, at around $2.90 per gallon on average.
Where are the best places to park in Bakersfield?
Parking in Bakersfield is usually a breeze due to the city’s ample parking lots and on-street parking spaces. In the private parking garages and lots, drivers can expect to pay around $1 per hour or less -- it is often even free. Outside of the downtown area, on-street parking is the most common option and is easy to find on most streets.