St. Louis car hire information
|Pick-up location||St. Louis|
St. Louis car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in St. Louis
When to book a hire car in St. Louis
Top tips for renting a car in St. Louis
- If you rent a car upon your arrival, you can conveniently discover everything St. Louis has to offer from museums, to the Botanical Garden, to the Mississippi River. Rent a car as soon as you land in Missouri and cruise through the city and adjoining areas, like the Mark Twain National Forest, which is located about 1 hour and 20 minutes by car from St. Louis.
- Get a hire car upon landing at Lambert International Airport to be in the city in under half an hour. Service desks are located on the lower level of Terminal 1 and shuttle buses bring travelers to the pick-up locations of the cars. Companies include Avis, Alamo, and National. The I-70 E will bring drivers quickly and conveniently to St. Louis and many places of interest like the Busch Stadium, the City Museum, or, of course, your hotel.
- St. Louisans have a reputation for not adhering to street regulations like turn signals or yielding, so double check before entering a roundabout or intersection -- especially since drivers here are also known to sometimes run a red light when it has just switched from green. Driving defensively will definitely help and, when adhering to speed limits and paying extra attention, drivers should face no problems.
- Winters can bring rain and snow to St. Louis and road conditions are not ideal in the city when the cold weather hits, so make sure the hire car is properly equipped. Adapting speed when it snows or rains is pivotal, and, if possible, driving should be avoided altogether when the weather conditions get too severe. Also note that in St. Louis each district has its own methods to deal with the snow, meaning some roads may be salted while others may be plowed, making the streets narrower.
- Book your rental car in St. Louis at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in St. Louis
What is the best rental car company in St. Louis?
How can I find car rentals near me in St. Louis?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in St Louis?
What type of car is recommended for driving in St. Louis?When choosing a car for your trip to St. Louis, opt for one with 4-wheel drive to be ready for all weather conditions. You may also want to choose a more compact car, as some streets are narrow, and finding a parking spot becomes much easier with a smaller vehicle.
What's the speed limit in St Louis?
Generally, 20-25 mph is permitted in school zones and residential areas, unless otherwise indicated. 60 mph is allowed on urban interstates and highways, whereas rural freeways allow drivers to speed up to 70 mph. As usual, posted signs should be followed and speed adapted to road and weather conditions.
How are gas prices in St Louis?
The average price for petrol in St. Louis is around $2.30 per gallon, but, when looking at petrol stations like Phillips 66 or Mobil, drivers can get a refill with lower rates -- around $2.18 per gallon. Watch out for holiday periods as fuel prices will rise.
Where are the best places to park in St Louis?
Street parking in St. Louis is an option and is usually metered, but be aware that the city still has a reputation for car theft and cars should not be parked on the street for a long period of time or overnight. Instead, opt for a hotel with included parking or choose a parking lot or garage downtown, which can cost as little as $6 per day. Such garages include 7th Street Garage, Citi Park, or Central Downtown Garage.