Spokane car hire information
Spokane car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Spokane
When to book a hire car in Spokane
Top tips for renting a car in Spokane
- The charming city of Spokane is easy to navigate and has light traffic, which means a car is the quickest, most efficient and comfortable way to explore the area on your own schedule. A car will also allow you to discover other destinations outside the city, such as Spokane Valley, which is only 10 miles east of the city and is home to more than 70 lakes and rivers. If you're visiting in the winter, make the most of the ski season by heading to the city's five ski resorts, which are all located within driving reach.
- All the major car hire agencies, including Alamo, Enterprise, and Hertz, can be found at Spokane International Airport (GEG), which is approximately 5 miles west of Spokane's city center. The car hire desks are located in the Ground Transportation Center so, if you're arriving by air, just follow the ground transportation signs after landing. Most agencies are open from early in the morning (6 to 7 a.m.) until late in the evening (11 p.m. to 12 a.m.).
- Even though the city experiences a great flow of tourists throughout the year, driving downtown is relatively easy compared to other big cities in the country. Traffic rules in the city are pretty straightforward, but remember that all exits are on the right-hand side of the road. Winter driving may be the trickiest part, so make sure you have good snow tires and that you keep plenty of distance between your vehicle and others'.
- Traffic in Spokane generally flows nicely all throughout the day, but driving during rush hour can add extra time to your travels. Avoid driving into the city or to the airport between 6 and 9 a.m., or out of the city towards the residential areas between 4 and 7 p.m. Traffic congestion only gets worse when it snows in the winter, as well as during road construction season, with one of the busiest commutes being the stretch from downtown east on I-90 to the valley exits.
- Book your rental car in Spokane at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Spokane
What is the best rental car company in Spokane?
How can I find car rentals near me in Spokane?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Spokane?
If you're visiting in the summer, a spacious car such as a sedan or a small SUV may be a good option. If you're visiting in the winter, you'll need at least a front-wheel drive car and good snow tires even when driving on plowed roads, but an all-wheel drive or a four-wheel drive will make your driving experience safer, especially in areas where you may encounter thick snow.
What's the speed limit in Spokane?
The basic speed limit in Spokane is usually 25 miles per hour on residential roads, and 30 miles per hour on arterials, unless the posted signs say otherwise. County roads have a speed limit of 50 miles per hour, while state highways have a maximum speed limit of 60 miles per hour.
How are gas prices in Spokane?
The average petrol prices in Spokane are approximately $2.83 per gallon. Lower prices can range anywhere between $2.59 and $3.29 per gallon. If you're visiting in the summer months, there will likely be more tourists, and hence bigger lines at petrol stations, so try to fill up your tank either early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid the crowds.
Where are the best places to park in Spokane?
Parking spaces near the city's main attractions are plentiful. Drivers must pay for parking between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Saturday, but street parking is free on Sundays and public holidays. Different meters have different time limits, and prices range between $0.40 and $1.20 per hour, depending on the location.