Long Beach car hire information
|Pick-up location||Long Beach|
Long Beach car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Long Beach
When to book a hire car in Long Beach
Top tips for renting a car in Long Beach
- Ditch the unreliable public transportation and hop on a hire car, which is most comfortable and efficient way to explore not only Long Beach, but also neighboring Los Angeles and other destinations along the Californian coast. Head to El Dorado Nature Reserve for a picnic date, or drive through beautiful Naples Island in Alamitos Bay. The iconic Hollywood Sign is 30 miles away from Long Beach, and San Diego is a 2-hour ride away.
- The two closest international airports from Long Beach are Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and John Wayne International Airport (SNA). hire car offices at LAX are off site, but you can take the free shuttle buses stopping under the "hire Car Shuttles" sign outside the Arrivals Level islands. Car hire services at SNA are situated on the Arrivals hall, between Terminals A and B, across from the John Wayne statue. The domestic Long Beach Airport (LGB) is closer but much smaller. Car hire desks can be found inside the Airport Ground Transportation Center, which is on the opposite side the terminal building.
- The city of Long Beach is quite straightforward to navigate -- just watch out for reckless tourists during the summer months when the city center is more crowded. The stretch from Belmont Shore beach to downtown Long Beach has a sidewalk designed for cyclists, rollerbladers, and walkers, so be extra careful when driving there. Many LA freeways have one or more "carpool lanes" at the far left for vehicles carrying at least two occupants.
- Traffic jams in the Los Angeles area are a given, but there are ways around them. Avoid driving from Long Beach to LA, particularly toward Hollywood, between 6:30 a.m. and 10 a.m., and then back to Long Beach between 3 p.m. until about 6:30 p.m. as those are the main rush hours. The San Diego Freeway (I-405) runs toward LA and Long Beach Airport, but you can take Crenshaw Blvd to help bypass the downtown gridlock during peak hour.
- Book your rental car in Long Beach at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Long Beach
What is the best rental car company in Long Beach?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: Los Angeles Airport (LAX)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Los Angeles Airport (LAX)?
How can I find car rentals near me in Long Beach?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Long Beach?
A hybrid car is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint when driving around the area, and a convertible makes for a fun option when cruising along the coast, especially in the summer. If you're traveling with family or friends, a minivan offers more comfort and space for everyone.
What's the speed limit in Long Beach?
The speed limit in Long Beach is usually 25 mph, but it may be lower in certain residential areas and school zones, in which case the speed limit signs will be posted. Two-lane highways have a speed limit of 55 mph, while most highways have a 65-mph limit. However, some highways allow drivers to go as fast as 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Long Beach?
The average petrol prices in Long Beach are about $3.49 per gallon. Lower prices can range anywhere between $2.99 and $3.15 per gallon. Remember that, especially in the summer and on weekends, lots of people travel early in the morning throughout the Californian coast, so skip the petrol station lines by avoiding those hours when filling up the tank.
Where are the best places to park in Long Beach?
Street parking meters offer the first five minutes for free, and then they're usually limited to a maximum of two hours. Some parking meters are paid from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily, while others are free after 6 p.m., Monday to Saturday. Rates range from $0.75 and $2 per hour, depending on the location, with Belmont Shore neighborhood being the cheapest.