Syracuse car hire information
Syracuse car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Syracuse
When to book a hire car in Syracuse
Top tips for renting a car in Syracuse
- It is highly recommended that visitors of Syracuse rent a car, as the city is much more easily navigated in a private car than via public transportation, especially because public transportation options are fairly limited and the city was designed primarily with private vehicles in mind. For instance, if you would like to go from downtown Syracuse to the Lakefront then it is 3 miles away, or a mere 7-minute, but if you were to take public transport it would take upwards of 30 minutes.
- Is picking up the hire car step one of your trip to Syracuse? If so and you are landing at Syracuse Hancock International Airport, you will find the hire car counters in the main terminal of the airport.
- In the area surrounding Syracuse University, jaywalking by pedestrians is particularly common and should be looked out for. This is partly because of the high density of pedestrians and also because of the many tiny streets in the area. It is not too big of an issue, but just make sure to keep your eyes open for any people suddenly walking across the street.
- Rush hour in Syracuse, while not as bad as neighboring New York City, is worth avoiding at its peak hours. The morning rush hour usually lasts from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., while the afternoon rush hour goes from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. As far as congestion goes, I-81 is one of the worst affected during rush hour and, unless your commute requires it, it should be avoided.
- Book your rental car in Syracuse at least 1 week before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Syracuse
What is the best rental car company in Syracuse?
How can I find car rentals near me in Syracuse?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Syracuse?
Syracuse is one of the more historic cities in the United States and, as such, many of its roads and streets harken back to the pre-automobile era. These streets can often be on the narrower side, so smaller vehicles such as compacts, sedans and coupes are recommended to visitors renting a car in Syracuse. If nothing else, a larger vehicle could be difficult to fit into streetside parking spots.
What's the speed limit in Syracuse?
Residential speed limits range from 25 to 45 mph, while urban areas typically range from 35 to 55 mph. Additionally, highways and freeways feature speed limits of 65 mph in rural areas and 55 mph in urban areas.
How are gas prices in Syracuse?
Petrol prices are on average about $2.50 in Syracuse, which is on the upper end of petrol prices in the United States. However, this is slightly cheaper than the average price seen in nearby New York City, which is around $2.60 per gallon.
Where are the best places to park in Syracuse?
If you plan to visit the downtown area of Syracuse, your best bet for finding parking is at one of the various parking garages dotting the downtown area. Streetside parking is also an option but it can fill up quickly in the more popular areas, so if you don’t get there early, all the spots may be gone already. However, parking is amply available in the garages so you should experience no issues finding parking.