Minneapolis car hire information
Minneapolis car hire reviews and directory
Car Rental Locations in or near Minneapolis
When to book a hire car in Minneapolis
Top tips for renting a car in Minneapolis
- Rent a car at the Minneapolis airport upon your arrival to get to your destination fast. It only takes a 20-minute drive into the city center and you can explore one of the “Twin Cities” of Minnesota at your own pace. If you want to explore surrounding areas like the Fort Snelling State Park, which is about 10 miles from the city center, or St. Paul, Minnesota’s capital, a hire car will get you out and about most efficiently.
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport has various car hire companies at your disposal. Travelers arriving at Terminal 1 Lindbergh should proceed to the second or third levels for car hire service desks. If landing at Terminal 2 Humphrey, go to the ground floor, where you will find the Ground Transport Center. Both terminals feature the same companies, including Hertz, National, and Avis.
- Congestion and traffic jams are a regular issue in Minneapolis, especially during peak times (around 7-9 AM and 4-7 PM). To ease the congestion a little, traffic control agents are in place and it is pivotal to follow their orders and to only cross an intersection if you can make it all the way across without blocking the road. Also note that many streets in Minneapolis are one way, so be careful and watch out for the signs to avoid going in the wrong direction.
- Winters in Minnesota can bring lots of snow, sleet, and ice, so be aware of that when traveling to Minneapolis during the colder months. The city is also known to be best equipped for dire weather conditions, but streets can still become narrower due to snow ploughs pushing the snow to both sides. At intersections, it may also be harder to see other vehicles around the corner when the snow is piled high, so proceed with caution at intersections.
- Book your rental car in Minneapolis at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Minneapolis
What is the best rental car company in Minneapolis?
How can I find car rentals near me in Minneapolis?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Minneapolis?
Especially in the winter, it is advisable to opt for a 4-wheel drive car for optimal road traction and safety. An SUV or minivan, depending on how many people are being transported, will provide great support and ensure a smooth drive.
What's the speed limit in Minneapolis?
Always adhere to the posted speed limits when driving in Minneapolis. Unless otherwise indicated, general speed limits are 10 mph in alleys and 30 mph in residential areas. In non-residential areas, drivers can go up to 55 mph and 65 mph on expressways. The maximum on rural interstates is 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Minneapolis?
Minnesota is known as one of the most expensive states when it comes to gas. In Minneapolis you can get your tank refilled for approximately $2.80 on average, but, depending on the petrol station, it can go as low as $2.50 -- for example at Smart Stop or Tesoro.
Where are the best places to park in Minneapolis?
On-street parking in Minneapolis is usually metered and varies in time restrictions and price, so always check the signs. Debit and credit cards are usually accepted, making payment hassle-free. For longer stays, a parking garage or public lot are good options if the hotel does not provide a parking space. Ramp garages include the 11th & Harmon Ramp, Ramp A-C, LaSalle at 10th, or Vineland Place, which range from $5 to $18 for 12 hours.