Edmonton car hire information
Edmonton car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Edmonton
Good to know
|Most popular car type||Economy|
When to book a hire car in Edmonton
Top tips for renting a car in Edmonton
- While the capital of Canada's Alberta region may offer good transportation services in the city, renting a car is a great option for travelers looking to embark on some outdoor adventures outside the city. Driving is the best way to get to must-see destinations that are fairly close to the city such as the Elk Island National Park, which is only a 35-minute drive from Edmonton and is the perfect place to hike, canoe, or even camp. Head to the Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve, which is located just 40 minutes east of Edmonton, for an incredible stargazing experience and a good chance to spot the northern lights.
- All the big car hire agencies can be found at Edmonton International Airport (YEG), including Alamo, Enterprise, and Hertz. The car hire counters are located near the baggage claim area on Level P1 (Ground Level) of the Parkade. Some car hire companies may require that you contact them a few days in advance, so make sure you chose one that accommodates your needs.
- Edmonton has a few interior highways and even a ring road, but you don't necessarily have to take the main roads (such as Whitemud, Yellowhead, or Anthony Henday) as they end up being the busiest. Look out for cyclists during the months when the weather is good. The weather can be quite harsh in the winter, so reduce your speed and keep a safe distance between your car and the other vehicles since roads can get slippery.
- Although traffic in Edmonton is fairly manageable when compared to other Canadian cities, rush hour can still add an extra 30 minutes to an hour to your travel time. Take this into consideration when driving into or out of the city's downtown core, and avoid morning rush hour (between 7:30 a.m. and 9 a.m.) as well as afternoon rush hour (between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.). The Anthony Henday freeway is one of the busiest roads in Edmonton during rush hour, as well as the Whitemud freeway, which is usually busy with traffic heading from south to north and vice-versa.
- Book your rental car in Edmonton at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Edmonton
What is the most popular rental car in Edmonton?
Economy (Hyundai Accent or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Edmonton.
What is the best rental car company in Edmonton?
How can I find car rentals near me in Edmonton?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Edmonton?
A Economy car rental in Edmonton costs $54 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Edmonton?
Regular sedans with front wheel drive are a good option in the metropolitan area of Edmonton, but when the weather gets harsher, a four-wheel drive such as a Subaru, offers more security when driving outside the city.
What's the speed limit in Edmonton?
The speed limit in the city is typically 50 kilometers per hour (30 miles per hour), but on rural highways it ranges between 80 and 100 km/h (50 and 62 mph) and on expressways it is usually set between 100 and 110 km/h (62 and 68 mph).
How are gas prices in Edmonton?
The average petrol prices in Edmonton are about 97.4¢ per liter (approximately US$2.76 per gallon). Try to fill up the tank early in the morning or late in the evening, and avoid doing so on weekends or Thursdays and Fridays before long weekends, as petrol stations get pretty crowded.
Where are the best places to park in Edmonton?
Street parking in Edmonton usually costs between $2.50 to $3.50 per hour from Monday to Friday, $1 an hour on Saturdays, and is free on Sundays and public holidays. The demand for parking in the downtown area is high, so if you're attending any event at Rogers Place arena you should park your car outside the city center.