Victoria car hire information
Victoria car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Victoria
Good to know
|Most popular car type||Standard|
When to book a hire car in Victoria
Top tips for renting a car in Victoria
- Renting a car in Victoria lets you explore the city and its surroundings on your own schedule without having to pay for cabs or face the crowds in public transports. Perched on the edge of Vancouver Island, the city has lots of places you can drive to such as Beacon Hill Park. A hire car is also perfect for discovering other destinations outside Victoria, including the scenic route to nearby Saanich Peninsula, which is only 45 minutes away.
- All the big car hire agencies can be found at Victoria International Airport (YYJ), which is located approximately 25 km (15.5 miles) north of Victoria. Car hire services are situated in the arrivals hall of the airport's passenger terminal, straight across from the Information Desk. Handicap hand controls are available with some companies when requested in advance.
- Victoria itself is a fairly easy city to navigate, but remember that traffic signs will be expressed in kilometers rather than miles. If you're heading to other destinations outside the city, beware that some back roads may be trickier, especially in the winter months. Vancouver Island is also popular among cyclists, so be extra careful when driving through the area.
- Traffic around Victoria usually flows nicely throughout the whole day, especially when compared to other big cities in Canada and the U.S., but driving into or out of the city during morning or evening rush hour can be a bit chaotic. Avoid driving into the city between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and out of the city between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- Book your rental car in Victoria at least 7 days before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Victoria
What is the most popular rental car in Victoria?
Standard (Kia Soul or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Victoria.
What is the best rental car company in Victoria?
How can I find car rentals near me in Victoria?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Standard car rental cost in Victoria?
A Standard car rental in Victoria costs $32 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Victoria?
If you're just driving within the city limits, a compact car is a good option as it's easy to park downtown. If you're traveling through the regions valleys and hills you may prefer an SUV, but in the summer months a convertible may be a fun option to drive with the top down along the scenic roads.
What's the speed limit in Victoria?
The speed limit within the city is typically 50 kilometers per hour (30 miles per hour), but it can be lower in certain residential areas, in which case signs will be posted. Speed limits on rural roads range between 60 and 80 km/h (37 and 50 mph) and on highways they range from 100 to 110 km/h (62 and 68 mph).
How are gas prices in Victoria?
The average petrol prices in Victoria are about C$5.48 (US$4.14) per gallon. Average prices can go as low as C$4.92 (US$3.72) per gallon and as high as C$5.83 (US$4.41) per gallon. Take into consideration that petrol is Canada is expressed in Canadian dollars per liter, rather than US$ per gallon like in the United States.
Where are the best places to park in Victoria?
The city of Victoria has plenty of street parking spaces as well as parking lots. Street parking must be paid between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. from Monday through Saturday, and after this time it is free. Parking is free all day Sunday and on public holidays. Some meters are limited to 90 minutes while others allow you to park all day, and prices range between $1.50 and $3 per hour.