Johor Bahru car hire information
|Pick-up location||Johor Bahru|
Johor Bahru car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Johor Bahru
Good to know
|Most popular car type||Compact|
When to book a hire car in Johor Bahru
Top tips for renting a car in Johor Bahru
- A hire car is the most comfortable and efficient way to travel around Johor Bahru as well as the rest of the Malaysian peninsula. Ditch the crowded public transports and pricey cab fares and jump into your very own hire car, freely exploring what the city has to offer — including the popular Legoland and the Istana Besar palace on the JB waterfront. Go for a day trip to Singapore, which is just across the Johor Causeway, about 30 minutes from the city center.
- All the big car hire companies, including Avis, Hertz, and Europcar, can be found at Senai International Airport (JHB), which is located about 20 miles northwest of Johor Bahru’s city center. The hire car desks are situated in the Arrivals Hall of the main terminal. Make sure you request a GPS that is set to the English language to give you some guidance, as you could end up getting lost in the city.
- The first thing you need to know about driving in Johor Bahru is that traffic runs on the left-hand side of the road, while the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle. Drivers in Johor Bahru may be a little reckless at times, so always yield to them when you see them. Don’t leave your running car unattended, as car theft is not unusual here. The area near the Singaporean border is usually safer to drive and park.
- The city experiences a bit of traffic during rush hour, which usually starts at 6 a.m. and goes until 9 a.m., and then again between 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. There are lots of Singaporeans traveling to Johor Bahru through the Johor Causeway, especially during the weekend, so if you’re heading to or from Singapore, try to make the crossing outside those time frames.
- Book your rental car in Johor Bahru at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Johor Bahru
What is the most popular rental car in Johor Bahru?
Compact (Ford Focus or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Johor Bahru.
What is the best rental car company in Johor Bahru?
Based on ratings and reviews from real users on KAYAK, the best car rental company in Johor Bahru is Europcar (7.6, 348 reviews).
How can I find car rentals near me in Johor Bahru?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Compact car rental cost in Johor Bahru?
A Compact car rental in Johor Bahru costs $26 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Johor Bahru?
If you're just driving through the city for business purposes, a small, compact car will probably do the job. A hybrid is also a great way to reduce your carbon footprint while driving around. If you want to travel both around the country and to Singapore, a mid-size sedan is a better option.
What's the speed limit in Johor Bahru?
The speed limit is typically 60 km/h (37 mph) in urban areas, and 90 km/h (56 mph) on rural roads. Malaysia's expressways have a speed limit of 110 km/h (68 mph), but they may be lower in mountainous areas, crosswind areas, or other urban areas. The limits also lower during festive seasons.
How are gas prices in Johor Bahru?
The average petrol prices in Singapore are about 8.42RM ($2.01) per gallon. The lower price is in average 8.29RM ($1.98) per gallon, while in some places you may pay up to 8.71RM ($2.08) per gallon. There is a petrol station within the airport’s grounds if you need to fill up the tank right before returning your vehicle.
Where are the best places to park in Johor Bahru?
The best and safest places to park your car are the parking garages and lots across town, such as the Johor Bahru City Square parking or Sentral parking lot and Sun Parking, both of which are near the main train station. Rates are about 12RM ($2.90) per day. Overnight parking at JB Sentral is also allowed for rates of about 20RM ($4.80) per night. Street parking is free on Sundays.