Skopje car hire information
Skopje car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Skopje
When to book a hire car in Skopje
Top tips for renting a car in Skopje
- While Skopje is well-connected via bus, it is truly best traversed in a private vehicle. This is partly because buses are often much slower and less direct than simply driving on your own. Additionally, having your own car allows you to see and experience the character of Skopje and its surrounding areas for yourself. Say, for example, you want to head out to one of Skopje’s neighboring sights like Matka Canyon. It is just a 16-kilometer (10-mile) trip from Skopje and only takes 30 minutes to reach in a car.
- For travelers looking to rent a vehicle and who are arriving in Skopje via Skopje International Airport, the hire car counters can be found in the Arrivals Hall of the main terminal. Renting a car at the airport is likely the most convenient option available for visitors.
- One law to keep in mind when driving in Skopje – and throughout Macedonia – is that you are legally required to keep your headlights on when driving at all times, including during daylight hours. If you happen to forget, there is a good chance that other drivers will flash their lights at you to remind you to turn yours on.
- Like many capital cities, Skopje experiences the weekly burden of rush hour traffic. Fortunately for drivers, though, the traffic is not overly severe and shouldn’t pose much of a problem. Generally, the morning rush hour starts up at around 7:00 a.m. and goes until 9:00 a.m., while the afternoon rush hour goes from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. most days. Boulevard Kocho Racin and Boulevard Ilinden are often congested during rush hour and are definitely two roads to skirt around during peak driving hours.
- Book your rental car in Skopje at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Skopje
What is the cheapest car rental company in Skopje?
What is the best rental car company in Skopje?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Skopje?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at SURPRICE CAR RENTAL Alexander The Great Airport 1043 (1 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Skopje?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Skopje?
Skopje’s roads are well suited to a wide range of vehicle sizes from smaller cars, such as sedans and compacts, to medium-sized hatchbacks and SUVs. In fact, the latter two are some of the more popular vehicles on the road throughout the Republic of Macedonia. Drivers will find that, in general, the roads are fairly large in the city and that the narrow lanes so typical of European countries like Italy are much less common in Macedonia.
What's the speed limit in Skopje?
The speed limits in Skopje generally fall into four general groupings. First, there are built-up areas, which feature speed limits of 50 km/h (31 mph) on most roads. Next, there are rural roads which have speed limits that go up to 90 km/h (56 mph). Motorways are the next up with speed limits of 110 km/h (68 mph), while highways have the fastest speed limits of up to 130 km/h (81 mph).
How are gas prices in Skopje?
Petrol costs on average around 58.00 MKD ($1.08) per liter in Skopje, which is roughly 219.53 MKD ($4.09) per gallon.
Where are the best places to park in Skopje?
Parking garages and parking lots are numerous throughout Skopje and are a great option for drivers both downtown and in residential areas. Paid parking lots generally range from 25 MKD ($0.47) per hour on the outskirts to 45 MKD ($0.84) per hour in the central districts. On-street parking is available throughout the city, but is used most commonly in residential areas.