Raleigh car hire information
Raleigh car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Raleigh
When to book a hire car in Raleigh
Top tips for renting a car in Raleigh
- Need to rent a car for your trip to Raleigh? Visitors with flights landing at Raleigh-Durham International Airport can reach the airport’s hire car center via shuttle buses leaving from Zone 5 outside of Terminal 1 and from Zone 18 outside of Terminal 2.
- Fog is quite common in Raleigh so drivers should be careful, especially in the early morning hours. Drivers not used to fog should remember that, while headlights should be used to illuminate the road, drivers should only use low beams rather than their high beams. The reason for this is that fog actually reflects light, thus, the brighter the light used, the more it reflects. So if you use your high beams, you may actually reduce road visibility rather than improve it.
- Rush hour traffic is no fun no matter what city you are in. However, drivers will be happy to hear that rush hour isn’t too fierce in Raleigh. The morning rush hour tends to pick up around 7:30 a.m. and lasts till 9:00 a.m., while the afternoon and evening rush hour starts around 4:00 p.m. and finishes up around 6:00 p.m. The main areas to avoid during rush hour are the highways leading in and out of the city, in particular I-40.
- In many ways, renting a car is imperative if you plan on getting the most out of your time in Raleigh. Like many cities in the U.S., Raleigh is a car town and many of its attractions are most accessible via personal vehicle. For instance, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and North Carolina Museum of Art are just 15 minutes away from each other by car, but are close to 45 minutes away from each other via public transportation.
- Book your rental car in Raleigh at least 5 weeks before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Economy rental cars in Raleigh are around 12% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Raleigh
What is the best rental car company in Raleigh?
How can I find car rentals near me in Raleigh?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Full-size car rental cost in Raleigh?
A Full-size car rental in Raleigh costs $77 per day, on average.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Raleigh?
A Economy car rental in Raleigh costs $63 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Raleigh?
All sizes of vehicles will have an easy time driving in Raleigh. The streets are fairly wide and streetside parking spaces are large enough for a range of vehicles. However, if you plan on visiting the mountains in North Carolina, it may be worth it to consider a mid-sized vehicle just to make sure you have enough torque for mountainous terrain.
What's the speed limit in Raleigh?
City roads in Raleigh and throughout North Carolina normally stick to a base speed limit of 35 mph except in cases when signage specifies otherwise. In rural areas the speed limit jumps up to 55 mph and on highways it goes up again to 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Raleigh?
Hopeful car renters will be happy to hear that petrol prices are quite cheap in Raleigh. The average price per gallon is about $2.20, which is significantly cheaper than the average price in Salt Lake City, at $2.75 per gallon, and is only slightly more expensive than Dallas’ average price of $2.00 per gallon.
Where are the best places to park in Raleigh?
Parking is an absolute cinch in Raleigh. Both streetside and garage parking are widely available throughout the city. For the downtown areas, parking can fill up during peak times, but for the most part it shouldn’t be an issue for drivers. At worst, you will have to park a block or two away from your final destination.