Mesa car hire information
Mesa car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Mesa
When to book a hire car in Mesa
Top tips for renting a car in Mesa
- With the huge Tonto National Forest on the northeast, the South Mountain Park 15 miles to the west, and the city of Phoenix only half an hour drive away, there is plenty to explore around Mesa, apart from the wonderful city itself, of course. Mesa is the perfect base for the many incredible hiking and walking opportunities in and around the city, and there is no more convenient way to get to all your remote and local destinations than by car. Rent a car for your time in Arizona and set up your own schedule and itinerary.
- Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport is just over 20 miles from Mesa’s heart, so make it easy and rent a car directly from the various hire car agencies located right at the terminal. A drive to Mesa will only take about half an hour from the airport, and you can head straight to your next destination or accommodation via the US-60 West.
- Usually, Arizona is known as one of the sun-kissed states with splendid weather; however, there are monsoons happening regularly throughout the state, including heavy rain showers, strong winds, or dust storms. Always heed the warnings of signs and do not enter areas that tend to get flooded when there is a heavy rain storm. Also, as rain showers and dust storms can impair visibility, make sure to adjust your speed or even stop entirely where it is safe, and only drive on when the weather conditions improve.
- The daily rush hour in Mesa is heaviest on the routes between Mesa and Phoenix, for example on the I-10, US-60, and AZ-202. Especially between 7 and 9 am and 5 and 7pm are peak times in Mesa where the roads can be severely congested. At least an extra hour should be planned ahead so there will be no major delays for travelers.
- Book your rental car in Mesa at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Mesa
What is the best rental car company in Mesa?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: Sky Harbor Intl Airport (PHX)?
The only car hire company onsite at Sky Harbor Intl Airport is Alamo.
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Sky Harbor Intl Airport (PHX)?
The only car hire company that offers shuttle or pick-up services from Sky Harbor Intl Airport to off-airport locations is Alamo.
How can I find car rentals near me in Mesa?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Mesa?
As Mesa is surrounded by national forests and parks that are perfect for hiking and walking, a 4-wheel-drive car is recommended. Such a car will give you the necessary traction you will need when driving up winding mountain roads as well as when being hit by one of Arizona’s famous rain showers.
What's the speed limit in Mesa?
Adjusting your speed to the prevailing weather conditions is paramount when driving in Mesa, but general regulations allow 25 mph in built-up areas and 15 mph in alleys or around schools. On most freeways, the maximum speed limit is 65 mph, but it may also be less than that, so always check the posted signs and adhere to the given speed limits.
How are gas prices in Mesa?
The average price for a gallon of petrol is approximately $2.70, but try to find cheaper stations like Costco, where you may only have to pay $2.40 per gallon. Whenever you leave the city limits and venture out to the many national parks for hiking, fill up the tank beforehand so you don’t run the risk of running out of gas.
Where are the best places to park in Mesa?
There are various parking opportunities in Mesa that allow free parking for up to two hours, including 44 E 3rd Place, for instance. There are also plenty of parking lots and garages scattered around downtown, like Mesa City Hall Lot, the Gold Lots, or the Purple Lots. If possible, try to find accommodation with a parking lot included so overnight parking is not expensive and the car can always be nearby.