Colorado Springs car hire information
|Pick-up location||Colorado Springs|
Colorado Springs car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Colorado Springs
When to book a hire car in Colorado Springs
Top tips for renting a car in Colorado Springs
- Probably the most iconic natural attraction of Colorado are the Rocky Mountains. Colorado Springs is nestled on the eastern side and a hire car puts travelers within a 2.5 hours’ driving distance of the popular Rocky Mountain National Park. When coming to this city, visiting the park is a must and there is no easier and better way to do it than with your own car.
- Colorado Springs Airport is about 12 miles from the city and offers various car hire agencies like Alamo, Budget, and Enterprise. Conveniently pick up a hire car from one of the many counters located in the baggage claim area and start your time in Colorado Springs with ease. Signs indicate the way out of the airport and via the Hancock Expressway and travelers will be in Colorado Springs within 20 minutes.
- Colorado Springs is popular for its many scenic routes, yet there are some passes that are very narrow and may be a challenge for people who are scared of heights. Driving in the mountains also means adjusting your speed and navigating carefully when coming to such passes, such as the Wolf Creek Pass. Also always opt for a low gear when going up and down the mountain so the brakes don’t overheat. Switch off the air conditioning as well to prevent the vehicle from overheating, as otherwise some functions may not operate properly anymore.
- Driving through Colorado Springs makes for an epic experience, but winter conditions can be severe and bring snow and ice. Make sure the hire car is properly equipped with snow tires and even snow chains. When conditions are very wintery, also carry an emergency kit in the car, including a flashlight, ice scraper, blanket, and some snacks, just in case you get stuck and it takes a while for someone to reach you. Driving in Colorado Springs should be no problem -- as long as you’re properly prepared for it.
- Book your rental car in Colorado Springs at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Colorado Springs
What is the best rental car company in Colorado Springs?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: Denver Intl Airport (DEN)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Denver Intl Airport (DEN)?
How can I find car rentals near me in Colorado Springs?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Colorado Springs?
With mountainous regions and snow in the winter, a 4-wheel drive car is a very good option for Colorado Springs. Good road grip is not only essential for winter road conditions, but also for the gravel roads in the mountains year-round. A pickup truck will provide the required road grip and a truck bed for bulky luggage, but an SUV is probably a better choice when wanting to drive not only around but also inside the city.
What's the speed limit in Colorado Springs?
Unless posted otherwise, 25 mph is permitted in most residential areas, while 30 mph is also allowed in some. Rural interstates allow between 65 and 70 mph and open mountain highways allow 40 mph. Winding mountain roads only permit 20 mph -- it is crucial to adhere to this speed limit, as they often have blind curves and narrow lanes.
How are gas prices in Colorado Springs?
Petrol prices in Colorado Springs are around $2.50 per gallon, which is on the cheaper side when compared to many other places in the US. Petrolstations like Sam’s Club or Sinclair can go as low as $2.40 per gallon, so take time ahead of the next refill to look for an affordable petrol station.
Where are the best places to park in Colorado Springs?
There is on-street metered parking available, which is free on Sundays, as well as parking garages like the Bijou Cascade Parking Garage or the Kiowa/Nevada Parking Garage. The advantage of a garage is that they are safer due to safety cameras and are also open 24/7, making overnight parking possible.