Buffalo car hire information
Buffalo car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Buffalo
When to book a hire car in Buffalo
Top tips for renting a car in Buffalo
- There is a lot to love about Buffalo in upstate New York and renting a car will give you the ability to see and do the most during your trip. If you are planning on making the short 25-mile drive north to Niagara Falls, a car will not only help you arrive quicker than public transport, but will also give you the opportunity to arrive early in the morning to avoid crowds of tourists. If you plan on watching a Buffalo Bills game, having access to a car will make the event far more enjoyable, as New Era Field is located on the outskirts of town and most easily accessed by the NY-5 Highway.
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport is host to a number of major car hire companies with plenty of options to help make your decision easy. Browse the thorough list to find the company that best suits your needs using KAYAK, then simply proceed from the baggage claim across the road to the car hire counters to pick up the keys. If you are planning on heading straight to Niagara Falls, consider stopping by the wineries to enjoy the small village charm that Niagara-on-the-Lake has to offer.
- The fresh climate and dense parklands around Buffalo make it a popular city for cycling and other leisure activities. Be mindful of bike lanes and cyclists you share the road with; it is always best to provide more room than you think is necessary to create a safer environment.
- If you are not used to driving in the snow and are planning a trip to Buffalo, it is smart to familiarize yourself with some winter driving tips sooner rather than later. Heavy snowfall is common in Buffalo during the winter months and it is important that you regularly check the latest weather forecast using radio or online resources. Snow on the roads will mean that your tires have less traction, making it more important than ever to brake early and reduce speed. It is also not advisable to use cruise control in any vehicle while there is snow on the roads.
- Book your rental car in Buffalo at least 2 weeks before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Buffalo
What is the best rental car company in Buffalo?
How can I find car rentals near me in Buffalo?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Buffalo?
If you are traveling in the warmer months, choose the car that best suits your passenger and driving needs; however, if it is predicted to snow during your trip it is best to rent a four-wheel drive. A compact SUV such as the Toyota RAV4 will give you increased handling and control.
What's the speed limit in Buffalo?
Unless otherwise indicated, the speed limit for roads throughout the city of Buffalo is 30 mph. There are also narrower streets and laneways which have specified speeds as low as 15 mph or 20 mph. Highways near urban areas will have a speed limit of 55 mph, while those in rural areas increase to 65 mph.
How are gas prices in Buffalo?
You can expect to pay approximately $2.80 per gallon in Buffalo, which is only slightly above the nationwide average. Be careful if you are planning on driving across the border into Canada, as you will notice a considerable price increase for gas.
Where are the best places to park in Buffalo?
You can expect to pay approximately $1 per hour for on-street parking in the downtown district of Buffalo; however, in the evenings after 5 pm and all-day during the weekends, it is free. The illustrious Albright-Knox Art Gallery has all-day parking available for $5, or it is entirely free if you come on the first Friday of the month.