London car hire information
London car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in London
When to book a hire car in London
Top tips for renting a car in London
- London, Ontario welcomes travelers with many interesting attractions and sights, including Storybook Gardens, various museums, and golfing clubs. Whether you’ve come to enjoy a golfing vacation or spend quality time with your family, the easiest way to maneuver through the city is on your four wheels. Rent a car for your time in London to do everything whenever you want to and create your own travel itinerary.
- London International Airport is just over 7 miles from the heart of London, so consider renting a car directly from the airport grounds to be in the city in less than a quarter of an hour via Oxford Street E or Trafalgar Square, depending on your next destination. Upon landing at the airport, head to the hire car desks and choose a car from multi-national companies like Avis, Enterprise, and Hertz.
- To enjoy a pleasant and smooth driving experience in London, adopt a defensive driving style, as some local drivers have the reputation of regarding street regulations rather as suggestions. Changing lanes without indicating beforehand or running a yellow light are common sights, and jaywalking by pedestrians is also a regular occurrence. Drive slowly and attentively and do not let the local drivers stress you into speeding.
- Morning rush hours can mean delays and a honking crescendo, so try to avoid going on the roads between 6 and 8 am, and also between 4 and 7 pm if you want to avoid the worst traffic times in London. Winter can bring ice and sleet to the city, so make sure to slow down and drive extra carefully to avoid slipping.
- Book your rental car in London at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in London
What is the best rental car company in London?
How can I find car rentals near me in London?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in London?
Especially when visiting in winter, a 4-wheel-drive car is recommended to get better traction. When driving mainly within the city, a compact car is a wise choice, as it will fit into more parking spots and take up less space on the road.
What's the speed limit in London?
Remember that the metric system is used in Canada and general regulations allow up to 50 km/h (31 mph) in residential areas, but only 30 km/h (18 mph) in school zones. On rural roads outside the city limits, 80 km/h (49 mph) is allowed, while 100 km/h (62 mph) is the speed limit on highways. Speed limits are strictly enforced in Ontario so make sure to stick to them.
How are gas prices in London?
London is known as one of the cheapest cities regarding petrol prices with an average price of $1.30 CAD per liter ($0.97 USD, or around $3.88 per gallon). Familiarize yourself with which petrol to put in the hire car and remember to refill the tank before roving out into the Canadian landscape so there is no risk of running out of petrol in the more remote areas.
Where are the best places to park in London?
There is metered on-street parking available throughout London, but various time restrictions and prices apply, so check the signs beforehand. For long-term parking, opt for one of the many municipal downtown parking lots, which are located on Oxford Street, Thames Street, or Richmond Street, and have an average rate of $2.00 CAD per hour ($1.50 USD).