Hong Kong car hire information
|Pick-up location||Hong Kong|
Hong Kong car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Hong Kong
When to book a hire car in Hong Kong
Top tips for renting a car in Hong Kong
- Certainly the main advantage of renting a vehicle during your time in Hong Kong is that it opens the outer areas of the territory up for exploration. Many areas in the New Territories simply aren’t accessible via public transportation unless you plan to spend well over an hour switching between buses, whereas with a car it is a simple drive down the highway.
- Planning on renting a car during your time in Hong Kong? Unfortunately, while there are no hire car counters located directly at Hong Kong International Airport, there are some located at the metro stations Kowloon and Central Station. Additionally, you can contact the various hire car agencies and have them drop a car off at the airport so that one is ready for you upon arrival.
- One insider tip to be aware of when driving in Hong Kong is that there are no tolls on any of the major highways. However, there are tolls on many of the tunnels that link the islands together. These tunnels can be easily avoided by taking one of the aboveground highways which, while free, are slightly slower than the tunnels.
- Hong Kong as a major metropolis can become bogged down with the daily rush hour. However, with a bit of planning it is easy to avoid and shouldn’t be much of a problem for drivers. In general, rush hour lasts from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and starts back up again around 5:00 p.m. and finishes up at around 7:00 p.m. Hennessy Road in Causeway Bay and Argyle Street in Mong Kok are two streets that you will definitely want to avoid if possible during the peak hours of traffic.
- Book your rental car in Hong Kong at least 1 week before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Hong Kong
What is the best rental car company in Hong Kong?
How can I find car rentals near me in Hong Kong?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Hong Kong?
Smaller cars are absolutely recommended for visitors looking to rent a car in Hong Kong. Many of the city’s streets are quite narrow, and parking spaces are often on the smaller side, so large vehicles will often be a struggle for navigate the city. That being said, there are special parking spots for larger cars, but these are limited in number so it is better to hedge your bet and go for a smaller car like a sedan, compact, or coupe.
What's the speed limit in Hong Kong?
Hong Kong features a wide range of speed limits such as 30 km/h (19 mph) on mountain roads, 50 km/h (31 mph) on smaller streets, and 70 or 80 km/h (43 and 50 mph) on most highways. On a select few highways, speed limits go up to 100 or 110 kph (62 and 68 mph).
How are gas prices in Hong Kong?
Petrol prices average about HK$16.2 ($2.07 USD) per liter in Hong Kong. To put this in gallon terms, that is about HK$61.32 ($7.85 USD) per gallon of gas.
Where are the best places to park in Hong Kong?
Parking garages in almost all areas of Hong Kong are by far the best option for parking. On the main island there simply is almost no streetside parking available in the popular areas. Luckily, there are an ample number of parking garages that charge a variety of rates so you have plenty to choose from. In the peripheral areas of Hong Kong, streetside parking is more of an option and, when available, should be taken advantage of.