Cabo San Lucas car hire information
|Pick-up location||Cabo San Lucas|
Cabo San Lucas car hire reviews and directory
Car Rental Locations in or near Cabo San Lucas
When to book a hire car in Cabo San Lucas
Top tips for renting a car in Cabo San Lucas
- A hire car is by far the best option to explore not only Cabo San Lucas, but also its surrounding area, with its secluded beaches and nearby towns that are well worth a day trip. The whole Tourist Corridor connecting San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas features a vast array of gorgeous beaches, so drive along the 20-mile stretch and make scenic stops as you please with your hire car.
- All the major car hire companies, including Avis and Alamo, can be found at San Jose Del Cabo International Airport (SJD), which is about a 40-minute drive from Cabo San Lucas. Most car hire desks can be found in the Arrivals Hall area after going through baggage claim and customs, but some will have off-site offices, in which case they’ll provide a shuttle. You’ll need an International Driver’s Permit, as well as Mexican car insurance for the length of your hire contract.
- Navigating Cabo San Lucas is fairly easy, but remember most traffic signs will be in Spanish only. The city is very popular during spring break and school vacations, which means the roads will be more crowded during those seasons. There are also several speed bumps across town. Most highways in Mexico are tolled, including the one that goes to the airport, so make sure you always have Mexican pesos or American dollars in cash with you.
- Bumper-to-bumper traffic does happen sometimes in the Los Cabos area, especially during the summer and spring break seasons. Traffic jams in the surrounding Cabo San Lucas roads are also common, so avoid driving into town during the morning rush hour (between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.) or out of town, particularly on weekends, after 5 p.m. If you’re heading to the airport during these times, plan your journey in advance.
- Book your rental car in Cabo San Lucas at least 5 days before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Cabo San Lucas
What is the best rental car company in Cabo San Lucas?
How can I find car rentals near me in Cabo San Lucas?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Cabo San Lucas?
For travelers who don’t require much passenger or luggage space, a small, compact car will be enough to drive to the beach and easily park downtown. A convertible is a fun option for when the weather allows you to drive with the top down, and a minivan is recommended if traveling with the whole family.
What's the speed limit in Cabo San Lucas?
The speed limit in urban areas is usually 60 km/h (37 mph), but it may be lower in certain residential areas, so watch out for the posted signs. Urban throughways have a speed limit of 60-80 km/h (37-50 mph), rural highways observe a limit of 70-90 km/h (43-56 mph), and major highways allow you to drive at a maximum of 110 km/h (68 mph).
How are gas prices in Cabo San Lucas?
The average petrol prices in Cabo San Lucas are about MXN 63.53 ($3.14) per gallon. Prices can go as low as MXN 56.78 ($2.80) per gallon, and as high as MXN 71.92 ($3.55) per gallon. Petrolstations in Mexico aren’t self-service, so don’t be surprised when an attendant comes to fill up your tank. Take into consideration that petrol stations tend to be more crowded during spring break season.
Where are the best places to park in Cabo San Lucas?
Street parking is available within the white curb marks, while red curbs mean parking isn’t allowed. Keep an eye out for meters as some parking spaces require payment. There are also several paid parking lots across the city, such as the Paraiso Mall garage. You can also leave your car at some resorts’ parking lots, provided that you intend on using their services, such as the bar.