St. John's car hire information
|Pick-up location||St. John's|
St. John's car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in St. John's
When to book a hire car in St. John's
Top tips for renting a car in St. John's
- A hire car is the perfect way to explore not only St. John's, but the whole of Newfoundland, as most of its best places can't be accessed without four wheels. There are so many scenic routes to drive along that it will be hard to choose, but driving to St. Anthony on the northern tip of the island is a popular option, as you can take your time and even stay overnight in the charming towns as you make your way there.
- All the big car hire companies can be found at St. John's International Airport (YYT), which is located less than 10 km (6.2 miles) from downtown St. John's. Car hire services are situated in the Baggage Claim area of the airport's main terminal. If you're heading there during high tourism season (May-September), you should book your car in advance.
- The Trans-Canada Highway connects St. John's to other cities and towns around Newfoundland and, although the highway is in great condition, you will likely encounter sharp curves while driving through these hills. Always stay alert when driving on the island, as moose roam around freely and sometimes cause accidents. Stop the car and wait for the animals to fully disappear if you bump into them.
- Although traffic is quite tame when compared to other big Canadian cities, rush hour traffic (between 7 and 9 a.m. and 4 to 6:30 p.m.) can affect certain areas of St. John's, particularly Parkway, which is made up of three roads funneling into a single route. Most heavy construction work takes place during summer, so take that into consideration in case you have to be somewhere by a specific time.
- Book your rental car in St. John's at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in St. John's
What is the best rental car company in St. John's?
How can I find car rentals near me in St. John's?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in St John s?
What type of car is recommended for driving in St. John's? If you're just driving in the city, a small, compact car is a good option as it's easy to park downtown. If you're traveling through Newfoundland, you may prefer an SUV, and in the summer months a convertible may be a great option as it allows you to drive with the top down through the scenic routes. Families can opt for a minivan.
What's the speed limit in St John s?
The speed limit within the city is typically 50 kilometers per hour (30 miles per hour), but it can be lower in certain residential areas, in which case signs will be posted. Speed limits on rural roads can range from 60 to 80 km/h (37 to 50 mph), and on highways they range from 100 to 110 km/h (62 to 68 mph).
How are gas prices in St John s?
The average petrol prices in St. John's are about $4.66 CAD ($3.49 USD) per gallon. Average prices can go as low as $4.03 CAD ($3.02 USD) per gallon and as high as $5.36 CAD ($4.01 USD) per gallon. Petrolin Canada is expressed in Canadian dollars per liter. There are very few big cities across Newfoundland, so plan your refueling stops well so you don't run out of gas.
Where are the best places to park in St John s?
Street parking in St. John's must be paid between 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Parking meters usually have a two-hour time limit, and cost about $0.25 CAD for 10 minutes. Some streets may observe overnight parking restrictions during winter due to snow clearing operations. Brunswick Square shopping center also offers free parking on weekends.